past and present

Aldam of Wickersley

There is reference to a Herbert de Aldam and wife Matilda, daughter of John de Aldham in the Suffolk Manuscripts.

The 1379 Poll Tax records William de Aldam, Isabella de Aldamand Agnes - daughter

The Frickley Estate, where the family, now Warde-Aldam, are still resident, comprised property at Frickley, Hooton Pagnell, Great Houghton, North Elmsall, South Elmsall, South Kirkby and Thurnscoe.

William Aldam was born in 1813, the son of William Benson, Quaker cloth merchant of Leeds. His father inherited the estate of the Aldam family at Frickley near Doncaster, and took the name Aldam. On his death in 1828, the property and the family name passed to his son William. William retired from the cloth trade, and his business interests were thereafter mainly in public joint stock companies, such as railways and waterways, including the Aire and Calder Navigation and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. He left the Society of Friends to become an Anglican and sat as MP for Leeds from 1841 to 1847.

On 2 May 1839, William Aldam was called to the bar by the Middle Temple. He never practised as a barrister, although the legal training would subsequently be of importance to him as a justice of the peace and prominent figure the the West Riding of Yorkshire court of quarter sessions.

Aldam became M.P. for Leeds in the general election of July 1841. He held this post until 1847 when his chances of re-selection were spoiled by local controversy over state aid against voluntaryism in education.

At the 1841 election the Leeds Liberal leader, Edward Baines, described Aldam as 'a friend to the principles of free trade - in coffee, in tea, in sugar and, above all, in corn'.

William Aldam became a justice of the peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire in 1842, taking his oath at the general quarter sessions at Pontefract.

By 1844 he owned 1,392 acres of land , rented at 1,684. He became increasingly interested in the extension and development of his estate, and he was also a prominent railway and canal director, and in 1846 he was a staunch free trader.

He became a longstanding chairman of the finance committee of county quarter sessions, and in 1889, became the first chairman of the finance committee of the West Riding county council. He acted as chairman of quarter sessions for nine years up to 1885 and from the 1860s, was active on many administrative committees of quarter sessions. He also played an active role in his local petty sessions divisional court.

William Aldam became an Alderman of the West Riding of Yorkshire County Council on its creation in 1889 and was chosen as chairman of its finance committee. The council took responsibility for most of the administrative functions which had previously been undertaken by quarter sessions. He could only play a preparatory role in its proceedings - he died the following year.

Newspaper extract


Susan Aldam, daughter of William Aldam, of Warmsworth, and sister of William Aldam, of Frickley Hall, married in 1852 a Milner, of Burton Grange, they had one child, William Aldam Milner, born March 25th, 1854.


In 1878, Sarah Julia, the surviving daughter of Rev. William Warde of Hooton Pagnell, married William Wright Aldam(1853-1925), the heir of the adjoining Frickley estate. The groom adopted the surname of Warde-Aldam.

William Aldam's Settlement under the Settled Lands Acts, 1882-1890


Ralph Aldam of Wickersley Children :

Children of Richard and Margaret Aldam:

Children of William and Mary (nee Lord)

Children of Thomas and Ann (nee Stacye) Aldam:

Children of Thomas and Isabel (Nee Mitford) Aldam:

Source Doncaster Archives Department: Papers of William Aldam of Frickley


There was a strong group in Balby who were converted to Quakerism and formed a settled Meeting soon after George Fox first visited the area in 1651. Thomas Aldam, Richard Farnsworth and Thomas Killam, from Warmsworth, Tickhill and Balby respectively, joined Fox in touring Yorkshire and the north west as First Publishers of Truth.The sufferings of Thomas Aldam, Benjamin Nicholson, Christopher Todd and John Killam are amongst the first to be recorded.

Balby Meeting was recorded in 1665 as part of Pontefract Monthly Meeting and again in 1669, within Balby Monthly Meeting. By that point, it covered Cantley, Harlington, Warmsworth and Hooton Pagnell, as well as Balby. Its leading members included John and Thomas Killam, Thomas Aldam, Thomas Broughton, Samuel Box, Thomas Jackson and John Burgess.

Thomas Aldam gave land for a burial ground in Quaker Lane, Warmsworth, around 1660; a Meeting House was built on the same site by his son William in 1705. This was initially used for Monthly Meeting gatherings; the Preparative Meeting continued to meet in its constituent villages until around 1730. The Meeting was renamed Warmsworth in 1775

Source: Hull University Archives Department

Return to Top


History Index

© Copyright 2003